Monday, September 6, 2010

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Well, my good intentions were derailed relatively quickly. Such is the nature of blogging, I guess. Suffice it to say that many of the real-life issues that discouraged me from blogging have been addressed. From now on, my goal is to attempt to post something game-related every day.

While I haven't been posting here, I have been putting some of my game notes online at  the Obsidian Portal blogsite. This campaign-management site has finally inspired me to put some of my notes into a more organized form, though they are still works-in-progress.  They also have a GM-Only portion of each site that can be blocked from the players' view, and character sheet templates for a multitude of game systems (including one for Risus, by Larry Bullock). Currently, I am working on the following:

  • Encounter RISICAL: Adapting the World of Vanth from Encounter Critical to Risus: The ANYTHING Role-Playing Game
  • Hoyle's Henchmen: My part of our "Henchmen for Hire" Risus campaign. This campaign is a collaborative effort; anyone in our group who wants to can run an episode.
  • The Mighty Sons of RISUS!: Swords-and-sandals in Bronze-Age Greece. Inspired by the awesome Mazes and Minotaurs game by Olivier Legrande, as well as Italian peplum movies, the syndicated Hercules and Xena TV shows, Aaron Allston's Mythic Greece, and Gary Gygax.  
  • RisusQuest: The world of Glorantha (RuneQuest, HeroQuest) for Risus. Just a placeholder until I can get some material up.

You can check out my current projects, in their various states of unreadiness, at http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/GuyHoyle

I also play in a very long running RuneQuest campaign (using a modified Avalon Hill RQ3 system) set in third age Glorantha. We tend to stay away from the well-trodden areas, by luck or design. We don't currently use any of the Mongoose RQ materials, though I have the current core rules set and a few supplements. Our GM and we three core players have been playing for around 18 years, with another player joining about 10 years ago, and another 3 years ago.  Three of the GM's now-grown sons have played on and off over the years. Though a couple of us are interested in the new HeroQuest rules, we haven't played it yet.

Just ran out of steam. Will post more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Chris Creel said...

One of my many, optional and every changing, mottos is; "write what you like when you like." Just remember to leave hints around the entree-net so others and decode the secret messages.

Swompy said...

Speaking of all things gaming, we are looking forward to next weekend's Return to Game Night!